– Information et Activités –
Located to the southwest of the Indian Ocean and in the heart of the Mascarene Islands, Mauritius is found between the Reunion Island and Rodrigues Island. Mauritius has got its independence since 1968. Mauritius is a paradise island where you can travel and share magic moments with your family and discover the fascinating landscape. There are different languages that are spoken in Mauritius such as: French, Mauritian Creole and English are the main ones. In the past, Mauritius hosted an extinct animal, the dodo, which became the emblem of the island.
Passengers over the age of eighteen years can import the following quantities of duty free goods : 250 grams of tobacco (including cigars and cigarettes ), two liters of wine, ale or beer, 25cl of water and 100ml of parfums.
Currency and Banking
Banks opening hours coincide with the arrival and departure of international flights at the Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport .
Bank opening hours
- Monday to Thursday from 9am to 15h
- Friday : from 9h to 17h
- Closed on Saturday and Sunday and public holidays
Banks, most hotels and restaurants, shops accept credit cards for tourists.
Many free medical facilities are available in hospitals and regional health centers . Private clinics provide a paid medical service.
Shop opening hours
Schedules range from 9:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the major cities of Mauritius, from Monday to Saturday. Some shops are open till noon on Sundays and public holidays. Many duty free stores and modern shopping centers offer a wide choice of products. Note that the stores open only a half day on Thursday in Rose Hill, Vacoas, Curepipe and Quatre -Bornes.
International driving license
In Mauritius, traffic is on the left and drivers must give way to traffic from the right. Visitors who have a driving license issued by a competent authority in their country are allowed to drive during their stay in Mauritius .
Tipping is common but not mandatory.
Naturism is prohibited.
A good way to prevent the inconvenience is to ensure :
- Place valuables and cash in the safe of the hotel,
- Close your car with key when parked,
- Park your car in a well lit place,
- Conceal valuables lying in your car so they are not visible from the outside,
- Always keep your wallet safe when you plan to go shopping,
- Avoid going out large sums of cash in public places,
- Do have your passport with you only when necessary,
- Never leave your vehicle unattended if you go for sightseeing,
- Always keep emergency handy phone numbers.
- Remember that traffic is on the left.
- Make an approve for your license from the Office of Traffic (Traffic Branch) at Line Barracks, Port Louis.
- Stay on the left of the road when you are on a motorcycle, bicycle or any other vehicle.
- At roundabouts, leave the priority to traffic coming from your right.
- Make sure to keep the ignition key when you leave your car.
- Fasten your seat belt.
- Children less than ten years cannot occupy the front seat.
- Parking tickets must be highlighted.
- Avoid using your mobile phone while driving
- “Drink or drive “, but not “Drink and Drive”
Veuillez trouver plus d’infos ci-dessous: